What’s on this August in Port Lincoln
What’s on this August in Port Lincoln
August is a busy month in Port Lincoln with plenty of great community events and functions happening to enjoy and be involved. The environmental group “Ocean Warriors” are running a month long campaign this August for volunteers to help clean up our local beaches and ocean. Join in and support our commitment to Respect, Protect and Promote the world our White Sharks and Australian Sea Lion live in.
Join in this campaign, and show our local community your business and social responsibility to the environment. By joining a beach clean up, and or participating in an “Ocean Warrior” video, you are helping to spread the awareness and encourage others to play their part in this huge problem, that can be solved if everyone plays even the smallest role.
Two-thirds of the Earth’s surface is covered by the ocean. Despite being so large and powerful, it is more vulnerable than we can imagine. Each year humans are dumping more than 8 million metric tons of plastic into the ocean. Around 80% of marine debris is originally from land, the other 20% is from ocean vessels such as cruise ships. On average, a single cruise passenger produces 3.5kg of waste per day.
There are 2 main events, the first is in the Lincoln National Park, and a MASSIVE DAY cleaning the stretch between North Shields Jetty and Port Lincoln Town Centre Jetty.
1st August 2019
9:15 am for 9:30 am start – 12:30 pm
Port Lincoln Hotel – Lincoln Ballroom
1 Lincoln Highway, Port Lincoln SA 5606
Social media is hungry for your photos and videos and using a professional is not always practical or affordable. This entertaining, hands-on workshop will empower you with some simple disciplines and tricks to boost your confidence and help you take better photos and videos.
Trainer, Steve Davis, has produced video documentaries, commercial photography and many hours of social media video. He’ll give you the insights to empower you to craft smart content quickly. This workshop is suitable for people with Android smartphones and iPhones.
9th August 2019
Join us on Friday 9th August for a cocktail event to raise much needed funds for the Royal Flying Doctors. Delicious canapes, live and silent auctions, cash bar facilities available.
An evening of live and silent auctions and a fabulous Eyre Peninsula inspired cocktail menu to help raise funds for the Port Lincoln Auxiliary, Royal Flying Doctor Service. The major raffle prize up for grabs will be an incredible experience for two people. Show your support for this worthy cause by joining us for this special fundraising evening.
9 Aug 2019 – 14 Sep
Complimentary nibbles and a cash bar will be available, provided by the wonderful Rogue & Rascal cafe. Post-event, continue your night out upstairs at And The Rebel, open until midnight (bookings for dinner recommended).
8th August – 10th August
Port Lincoln will also host an exhibition by Kyancutta artist Veronica Skipworth called ‘Colours of Mindfulness’ at Lincoln Local between August 8 and 10.
Mrs Skipworth said her art form was encaustic wax art, which involved using a small metal-based iron to paint coloured bees wax across glossy surfaces such as card, perspex and glass.
Enjoy a wine experience with Hentley Farm Wines includes a 5 course meal paired with 8 local wines with live entertainment!
The country show is an opportunity to showcase the local talent in Port Lincoln community whether it be chooks, horses, needlework, gardening skills, artwork or where ever your talent lies … we want you to display it!
This year we are having a major Art Prize competition. This will be displayed in the Function Room and will be judged on Wednesday 21st August with the opening of the Port Lincoln Show. Further details in the Exhibits & Sections page. There will be lots of music entertainment and free family activities with the baby animal zoo and face painters to name a few.
100 Years of the History of Dance
This one-man play follows Jacob: a schoolboy challenged with presenting a school report on the history of dance. Ballet, Jazz, Hip Hop, Modern and Contemporary dance are all addressed, as Jacob questions the difference between ‘influence’ and ‘plagiarism’, and begins to question his own legacy. Original music for the show is composed by Italian film score composer Enrico Melozzi.